Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Flickr and YouTube

I have used both Flickr and YouTube for both personal and professional purposes. I store my personal photos on Flickr as backup and so I can share them with my family and friends. I have used Flickr Commons to find photos for the Community Heritage Blog and for other work-related projects. I think it is a great site and it is very, very simple to use. The quality of the photos is variable but you can always find something.

YouTube is also very good for professional use. I have watched seminars, classes, interviews, etc on YouTube as part of my professional development. The biggest problem with YouTube is that there is always something neat in the "suggested videos" link on the right side of the page and I find, invariably, that after a few minutes, I am watching some weird video that has nothing to do with what I originally was looking at. YouTube, for me, is the greatest time-waster in the world. The quality of the videos is widely variable but there is SO MUCH out there. Where else could you find videos of bad 70s rock bands, mean kitties, dramatic Hitler gophers (see, I went off on a tangent from "Dramatic Chipmunk") and lectures on historic preservation in Vancouver? Now, if we could figure out a way to make a 48 hour day - I'd have time to see it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment